One common way to do this is by opening a Blocked Account (Sperrkonto). A Blocked Account is a particular type of account in which a certain amount of money is "blocked" or set aside for you to use for living expenses. Blocked accounts are crucial for student visa applications, as they serve as proof of sufficient financial resources.
The German government sets and regularly reviews the monthly living costs amount. One of the most recent changes occurred in January 2021, and the monthly blocked amount was raised to €861. However, the German government (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz - BAföG) has announced another revision to the blocked amount. It will be increased to €934 starting from January 1, 2023.
This change affects international students applying for German student visas for 2023, starting in January 2023. You should contact the German embassy responsible for issuing your visa to confirm how the increased amount may affect your visa application.
Expatrio gets you covered! Whether you have already opened your Blocked Account or plan to do so, we assist you with adjusting your blocked amount if needed. Read on to find out more information.
Expatrio Guide | Increased Blocked Account Amount
1. If you have already applied for a visa or residence permit.
If you need to increase the amount of money blocked for your visa or residence permit, the German authority handling your immigration application will contact you directly. We also ask you to double-check with them yourself.
2a. If you have already transferred a partial or the total blocked amount to Expatrio but have not yet had your visa or residence permit appointment.
Upon your request, we will calculate the difference and inform you of the amount you must transfer additionally. Once your additional funds arrive at your Blocked Account, you will receive your new 06 Blocked Amount Confirmation.
2b. If you have not yet transferred any funds to Expatrio
If you need to increase your blocked amount, you can submit a change request on your Expatrio Portal: just log into your user portal, click on "Blocked account," scroll down, and "change details." You can then update both the amount and the months and send the request to our team.
We will process your change request within one business day, and you can set up a new Payment on your Expatrio Portal afterward to transfer the required amount.
For both 2a and 2b cases, please get in touch with the German authority handling your visa application to confirm if you are required to add money to your Blocked Account.
3. How do I secure a document stating the new blocked amount? Or Is it possible to obtain a document that states the new amount of money I transferred?
Once the change request is processed, you can set up a new payment for the additional amount on your User Portal. You will get your transfer details once the payment is set up.
4. Is there an additional fee I need to pay to increase the amount?
No, we do not charge fees for change requests.
Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to help!
Changes in BAföG rates 2022/23
- The monthly BAföG payment for students will rise from €427 to €452.
- Students who no longer live with their parents receive €360 instead of €325 for rent.
- Students who no longer have family health insurance through their parents now receive BAföG subsidies for health and nursing care coverage.
- The government's proposal to raise the childcare allowance for students with children from €150 to €160 is under consideration.
- BAföG's age limit of 30 will be raised to 45 for students to begin studying later.
For more information regarding other potential changes, please check this article here.