DR-WALTER is the insurance expert for private and business trips and stays abroad. For more than 60 years, the company has been a reliable partner for students, language students, guest scientists, travelers, au-pairs, and development workers.
DR-WALTER GmbH was founded in 1959 by Dr. Siegfried Walter as a special insurer for foreign guests. Since then, the company has grown from a one-person business to an organization with more than 90 employees.
DR-WALTER offers private incoming insurance for international students, tourists, au-pairs, foreign guests, and also German employees abroad. The company provides online assistance for its customers and has already received several awards for its excellent service, such as the Insurance Super Star. The company’s investment in new employees secures great customer service and availability. Moreover, DR-WALTER’s underwriting agent guarantees fast and unbureaucratic processing for customers.
What should I know before getting private health insurance?
As a private health insurance provider, DR-WALTER names two main points you should consider when comparing private insurance policies:1. During your stay in Germany, some situations can arise in which it makes sense to have insurance, such as:
- You get sick and need medication
- You get involved in an accident
- You spill red wine on the carpet of your rented apartment
Some things are unpredictable, and that is why DR-WALTER recommends comprehensive insurance coverage consisting of health, liability, and accident insurance.
Some extra issues are essential to consider:
- If your insurance covers outpatient and inpatient treatment as well as medically necessary rehabilitation measures.
- If your accident insurance covers death and disability.
- If your liability insurance offers protection for personal injury, property damage, and rental property damage. Important to note that damage to rented property is the damage caused to a rented apartment. Several landlords require this protection in Germany.
2. Both Germany and other Schengen states have special insurance requirements. Some of the specifications which have to be observed for a Schengen visa are the regulations of the European Commission or the Freizügigkeitsverordnung/EG and Germany’s right of residence. The minimum insured sum is 30,000 euros. We recommend health insurance providing unlimited coverage of medical costs.
EDUCARE24 insurance from DR-WALTER fulfills these points for comprehensive private insurance.
History of DR-WALTER
On June 1 1959, Dr. Siegfried Walter registered his business as an insurance broker and DR-WALTER was founded. At that time there was no health insurance for foreign visitors. Dr. Siegfried Walter partnered with Volkswohl Versicherung (later Continentale) and developed the World Policy, which was the first insurance cover for foreign guests in Germany.
In the last 60 years, further insurance solutions for trips to Germany and Europe as well as for stays worldwide have been added. In addition to insurance for holiday travelers, au pairs, long-term travelers and foreign guests, DR-WALTER also offers insurance cover for employees abroad and helps to secure international student programs.
Since 2011, the travel insurance expert has carried the TÜV seal of approval for tested service quality. The seal certifies successful service management and identifies DR-WALTER as a quality provider.
In 2016, DR-WALTER received the award as Star Insurance Provider in London for the fifth year in a row and was therefore additionally honored as Insurance Super Star.
In 2017 and 2018 DR-WALTER was rewarded with the Global Youth Travel Award for outstanding achievements in the category Best Travel Safety Initiative. Last year, the company was also awarded the innogy Climate Protection prize.